Richard Mullock who had done so much for rugby including the founding of the Welsh Rugby Union, retired as Secretary. The Club made arrangements to extend the ground - John Butcher the groundsman suggested filling in the 'Salt Pool' and reclaiming ground where rugby is still played today.
Arthur Gould played mainly as a threequarter and new names included Owen Phillips, H. McBean, Dr. Moynan, Henry Jordan, F. C. Jones and Mapson Williams for a second season. Owen Phillips was a son of Thomas Phillips- the fourth brother to play for Newport.
Tom Baker-Jones was a sound forward who played for Wales - his son Paul also later played for Newport and Wales. Theo Harding played at half-back and Bob Gould was a fine forward. Newport continued to experiment with the development of back play and on several occasions tried 10 forwards, 2 halves, 2 threequarters and a fullback.
On 12th January 1884 the first International Rugby Football match in Monmouthshire was held on the Newport ground between Wales and Scotland. Scotland won by a dropped goal and a try to one touchdown. The Scottish team stayed at the King's Head Hotel.